Herbed Potato Salad
It isn’t a summer picnic without a vegan Herbed Potato Salad! Baby red potatoes are mixed with fresh herbs, olive oil, and a tangy dressing to create a light and fresh side dish that is a must at any summer party or barbecue.
Herbed Potato Salad is one of those special meals that’s a must at every barbecue, picnic, or summer party! So herbaceous and satisfying, it’s amazing how a short list of ingredients can taste so good when mixed together!
This easy vegan potato salad recipe is made with baby potatoes, extra virgin olive oil, and an herby and tangy sauce. Similar to my Easy Vegan Pasta Salad, I opted to make this recipe without mayonnaise to get the full benefits of the phytonutrients in the herbs and to keep each bite light and fresh.
Next time you’re heading out to a summer celebration, make sure a big batch of this red potato salad comes with you! It’s the perfect partner to veggie burgers, grilled street corn, and more.
What kind of potatoes are best for potato salad?
I used red potatoes in this recipe but any type of small waxy potato is best in potato salad. This is because the smaller varieties, like Fingerling, Kennebec, red, or purple potatoes, all have thin skins and less starch.
If you were to use big russet potatoes or sweet potatoes, they could fall apart and turn to mush before they’re able to be tossed with the dressing.
What’s in this herbed potato salad?
These are the ingredients you need:
- Red baby potatoes – Or any small, thin-skinned, waxy potatoes. Leave the peels on or off – it’s up to you!
- Extra virgin olive oil – To dress and coat the potatoes. EVOO has a nice peppery finish which pairs well with the potatoes and herbs, so try not to switch it for regular olive oil.
- Fresh herbs – I used parsley, chives, and dill in the salad, plus more as a topping. Feel free to swap these with any other herbs you love!
- Tangy dressing – The potato salad is dressed in a mix of apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, dijon mustard, and a handful of seasonings to help each bite taste super bright and zesty.
- Scallions – For an extra pop of green on top!
How to make potato salad without mayo
This summer potato salad is a piece of cake to make! It’s ready to enjoy in 4 simple steps:
Step 1: Boil the potatoes: Add the potatoes to a pot of boiling salted water until they’re fork tender. You can also steam them if it’s easier!
Step 2: Drain, cool, and cut: Drain the potatoes from the water and let them sit in a large bowl until they’re cool to the touch. This keeps them from falling apart during assembly. Then cut into halves or fourths.
Step 3: Make the dressing: Blend all of the dressing ingredients in a blender until smooth.
Step 4: Assemble and serve: Pour the dressing over the cooled potatoes and mix until they’re coated. Garnish with scallions and any other herbs you love, then enjoy!
What to serve with potato salad
This classic picnic-ready side dish goes well with all of your summer favorites.
I love it as a side with grilled veggie burgers and a hearty lentil salad at barbecues, but you could also bring a batch of this Ramen Noodle Salad to make the meal extra delicious.
Customize the flavors!
Whether you like potato salad without mayo, herby, creamy, or savory, there are plenty of fun variations you can play with:
- Make it savory – Shave 1 or 2 cloves of garlic into the salad, mix in roasted garlic, or throw in a chopped shallot instead.
- Add more herbs – Like cilantro, basil, tarragon, or thyme.
- Add some protein – Add some cooked chickpeas, white beans, kidney beans, or hemp hearts to make the salad a little more filling.
- Swap the dressing – The dressing is light and fresh but you can always swap it for something creamy like my hummus dressing.
- Play with the garnish – Top the finished salad with a dollop of chimichurri and lemon juice for bright and herby flavors.
More vegan summer BBQ recipes
- Grilled Tofu Steaks – Marinated and grilled tofu is the best low-carb and protein-packed meal.
- Vegan Ranch Pasta Salad – Ready in 20 minutes, this salad is bursting with flavor!
- Vegan Chicken Salad – The best filling for vegan sandwiches or a flavorful picnic-ready side dish.
- Chickpea Thai Quinoa Salad – An easy-to-make meal layered in a tasty homemade peanut sauce.
If you make this recipe and LOVE IT, please give it 5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐!